Friday 12 April 2013

Butterfly wing nails - great for spring!



Spring is finally here (almost)! Is it just me, or has this been the longest winter of all time? I moved in to a flat in September and I remember thinking that the park out the front will be great to sit in on sunny days - I haven't even been able to do that! I mean, it's APRIL therefore spring should be here, but looking out my window is telling me a different story... 

So, help us all forget that it's grey outside I've painted a gorgeous butterfly inspired manicure to brighten up your talons and remind us that the sun is round the corner.


This is the type of butterfly I had in mind but you could do a blue, gold, coral or pastel palette of colours in the background to create whatever effect you desire. The only bit that will be the same is the black lines and white dots. 



What you need:
  • Base colour(s) - I used Barry M in NP301 Block Orange
  • Black nail art pen - I used WAH x Models Own
  • White nail art pen - I used WAH x Models Own
  • Clear top coat to seal, gloss and protect - I used Seche Vite



Base: 
  • Paint your nails in your selected base colour. 
  • It could be orange, like the ones I did, or you could use a sponge to create a shimmering ombre of colours for your base. There is a tutorial on ombre in my older posts!


 The three stages of painting the black lines:

  • One - paint a line along the top of the nail in black, thicker on one side than the other. Then paint a line 1/3 above the cuticle at the same angle, drooping down to one side.
  • Two - Fill in the space between the lines with three or four curved lines.
  • Three - Fill around these three lines to create a more natural and less angular look.






 Final stage:

  • Once the black has dried, use your white nail art pen to draw dots at the top of the nail to complete the look.
  • Leave to dry completely then add a top coat. (This may take a while!)



Thanks for taking the time to look at my blog. I'm always looking for more nailspiration so if you have any looks you'd like me to try just let me know!
Love,
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment